Friday, January 15, 2010

Momma, Hold me all the time, please. - Nicholas (if he could talk)

Webster's definition of separation anxiety is = a form of anxiety by a young child (8 to 14 mths old) and is caused by the separation of the child and the significant nurturing figure in the child's life. Mainly a mother. And/or from their familiar surroundings.

MY definition is =

- when my child follows me from room to room like a puppy

- when my child pulls on my pants leg, as I'm standing at the sink, preparing dinner and/or doing the dishes and won't allow me to take a step without him clinging on

- when I'm sitting in church service and about 20 minutes into it, my baby beeper goes off. I go to the nursery, only to see my son SCREAMING....and when I pick him up, he immediately stops, looks the nursery workers and smiles

- when I get up to go to the restroom during the day and all of a sudden he realizes I have left the room, and has a COMPLETE meltdown


Nicholas's way of dealing with separation anxiety is even better . . . he just decides to glue himself to me and won't let me put him down at all. Unfortunately for him, this only works for brief moments during the day....because at some point, I DO HAVE TO PUT HIM DOWN!

Ahhh...the joys of motherhood!

I have been blessed by being able to stay home with my baby boy and being his care provider and I'm enjoying our bonding and one on one time together. But for everyone's sake (his future teachers included), he WILL be in a preschool program when he is the right age. He will benefit from a structured environment with socialization and will be better prepared for school, when the times comes.

And maybe by then, I'll be able to sit through the entire service at church or even get to go to the bathroom in peace every once and awhile. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment