Wednesday, January 6, 2010

For the Love of Books

Lately I've been contemplating the purchase of an eReading device (such as a Kindle or Nook). I've done my research and asked just about everyone I know their opinion on this new technology. It seems so cool to me to have all this information right at your fingertips! Anyone I know who has one, raves about it!

So, last night I'm laying in bed, curled up with my book and I started thinking about my love for books. To me, there is nothing more relaxing than being nestled in your warm bed with a good read. You drift off away from your reality and for minutes to hours, you're somewhere else....anywhere you want to be. You're a part of another story....one that isn't yours, but at the time you're so engrossed in the plot, you become a character or a fly on the fall watching it all unfold. It's magical.

Last year when I decided to stay home with my little one, my bookstore trips to Barnes and Noble and online with amazon.com, was one of the sacrifices (there were many) that I had to give up. I frequented the bookstore often and sometimes had very expensive trips. My husband had to "nicely" remind me we did have a library and if all else fails an occasional trip to Half Price Books was ok. So, I rolled my eyes, grabbed my purse and headed for the library to renew my long expired library card.

As soon as I walked into the library, I was captivated. I remembered the familiar smell of old books and musty air. I remembered how solitude felt in the peace and quiet. I remembered my love of a good book and I was surrounded by them.

When I renewed my card, I was told they have an online system for searching and requesting holds on books and I was excited. So, from my home, I can search a book and request it to be held for me. Then, when I am notified, I can swing by the library to pick it up. Take it home, read and return....at no cost. It's like borrowing from a friend. It's free. It's easy. It's like knowledge RIGHT AT YOUR FINGERTIPS!

When I thought about this last night, as I was reading . . . I knew now was not a time in my life for an eReading device. How could I give up my bi-weekly trips to the library? How would I justify the expense when I currently read for FREE? How will I share my love for reading with my kids, by being hovered over a "mini-computer" reading....what looks to them like any other device...a phone, a laptop. They need to SEE me hold a book. They need to understand the joys of falling in love with a story/character and being so engrossed in a novel, that you can't wait to get back to it. They need to experience having all that information at their fingertips!!!

So, for now, I will continue reading my lovely, musty, comfortable books with spines and that makes me HAPPY!

1 comment:

  1. I was just telling Mark the other day how much I love the smell of books. Plus I would rather have a bookshelf full of books so that I can see my accomplishments in my own house.

    ReplyDelete